Fall 2023 Premier Firearms & Militaria Auction
November 3rd, 4th, 5th, & 6th, 2023
This auction will feature an outstanding collection of items spanning multiple categories including Modern, Military, Sporting, & Antique firearms & militaria! Below is just a small grouping of select highlights from the massive offering to be featured in this upcoming sale!
SCARCE WW1 IMPERIAL GERMAN MODEL 1918 TANKGEWEHR ANTI-TANK RIFLE WITH AN EXTREMELY RARE CLOTH AMMUNITION CARRIER
Cal. 13 x 92 SR.
S# 6372, all visible numbers match.
Bbl. 39″. Tangent rear sight graduated to 500 meters. Inverted V front sight. These massive and unique rifles were the first specifically designed anti -tank gun. Nicknamed the “elephant gun” by the German soldiers, it at last gave them a weapon which could supplant the increasingly ineffective “K” ammunition used in rifles and machine guns. The total numbers produced were approximately 16,000. They were developed in record time by Mauser using a cartridge designed by the Polte Ammunition Factory in Magdeburg. This ammunition used a semi-rimmed 92mm long case and a steel cored 13mm bullet. The bullet weighed 795 grains and had a muzzle velocity of 2560 feet/second. This compares to the later U.S. 50 BMG M2 round with a bullet of 720 grains at a muzzle velocity of 2800 feet/second. The round will penetrate approximately 1″ of armor at 100 meters. The receiver ring is marked on top with a Mauser “banner” and “1918”. There are “Imperial Proofs” on the right side of the receiver ring and barrel over the chamber. The left side of the receiver and barrel have “eagle” acceptance marks.
The barrel is marked “KK” at bottom ahead of the forend. The action is a single shot and uses 4 locking lugs on the bolt. The bolt has 3 gas escape holes (increased from 2 in the original production) in the forward end. The safety is the standard Mauser type. The stocks were primarily Elm with a two piece construction similar to the Japanese Arisaka rifles. A separate pistol grip was added for easier handling. The stock is marked on the right side of the butt with “Imperial monograms and a letter “R”. It also has “2409” in fading white painted numbers. The belly of the stock has two Imperial monograms. The barrel band has flanges to use the bipod from the MG08/15 light machine gun. These sheet metal bipods were too lightly constructed and a stronger tubular leg design was developed, as seen by the unmarked example on this rifle.
The rifles saw fairly widespread use during the later part of 1918 by the German Army and were reasonably successful but still could not cope with the increasing numbers of Allied tanks. Production continued after the Armistice for a short time but ultimately Germany was forbidden to build anti-tank weapons. Many examples of the Model 1918 rifles were hidden from the Allied Control Commission by the Reichswehr and used up until the 1930’s. Some were sent to Sweden and used by the Swedish Army. Many nations did test the rifle after WW1 but it was not widely used. Reported combat uses after the war were the Rif war and a limited use in China.
UNATTACHED ACCESSORIES: this gun is accompanied by an extremely rare cloth ammunition carrier made from a heavy green Canvas like material. The unmarked carrier has internal loops for 20 cartridges and is supported by a woven shoulder strap with a roller buckle adjustment. The flap closure has two leather tabs held by steel buttons. The carrier contains 20 original cartridges of which one is a misfire. They all have Polte headstamps, are all marked T67 and dated from July to November of 1918.