ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL PROHIBITION ERA COLT NAVY MODEL OF 1928 THOMPSON SMG.
Cal. 45 ACP
Mfg. 03/21-07/22. Between these dates, 15,000 Thompson Machine Guns were manufactured by the Colt Firearms Corporation of Hartford, CT. Each gun manufactured was given the designation, and marked as the Model of 1921. While manufacturing was quick, by comparison, the sale of these guns took place over a span of almost 20 years. During this time, there were alterations & upgrades that affected the configuration & final markings at the time of actual sale. While the original Model of 1921 guns boasted a cyclic rate of 800 rounds per minute (RPM), beginning January 1927 Colt altered several examples to fire at a lower rate of fire, on advice from the United States Marine Corps, following their original deployment in the Nicaraguan Jungles. These “slowed down” examples, as they were requested, were made from Model of 1921 guns that were given a heavier actuator, a different recoil spring and buffer, were to become known as the U.S. Model of 1928 Navy. They are also often referred to as a “1928 Overstamp” due to the method Colt used to remark the guns. The words “U.S. Navy” were added above the original model designation, and a number “8” was hand stamped over last “1” in “1921” to become the Model of 1928. The stamped “8” can often be mistaken for the letter “B” depending on how the new stamp was placed over the original “1”. This particular gun is listed in Gordon Herigstad’s book, “Colt Thompson Submachine Gun Serial Numbers and Histories” as being delivered to the Chester County Sheriff’s Office in Chester, South Carolina on page 969. It is also accompanied by a letter from Deputy Sheriff Charles Parker of the Chester County Sheriff’s Department stating that; “The Thompson Submachine Gun, Serial number 11568, was given to the Chester County Sheriff’s Department by the Federal Government shortly after the Korean Conflict. The Federal Government crackdown on the illicit whisky trade in the South came about at this time and the weapon saw extensive use by deputies during raids on moonshine stills in Chester County. The Thompson was again pressed into the service during the civil unrest, instigated by the Civil Rights movement of the mid-1960’s, after which it was retired from service”. It boasts a blued finish and the correct Cutts Compensator w/ the diamond trademark, integral w/ the front sight. Barrel has 29 fins above the vertical foregrip. Lyman windage adjustable rear sight, notch for close quarters & elevation adjustable to 700 meters when lifted up. Left side controls. Receiver properly marked; “U.S. NAVY / MODEL OF 1928 (8 over the original 1) / NO 11568” above the pistol grip. Rear of receiver, also on right marked; “THOMPSON SUBMACHINE GUN / CALIBRE .45 COLT AUTOMATIC COLT CARTRIDGE / MANUFACTURED BY / COLT’S PATENT FIRE ARMS MFG. CO. / HARTFORD, CONN. U.S.A.”. Left side fire control markings are “FULL / AUTO” & “SINGLE”. Right side receiver markings include; “AUTO-ORDNANCE CORPORATION / NEW YORK U.S.A. & Patent block ending w/ DECEMBER 28, 1920” as well as “JHB”, acceptance stamp for John H. Barrett, Colt’s quality control inspector. Top of receiver marked w/ “Thompson” bullet logo forward of rear sight. Trigger frame stamped “NO 11568”, matching receiver serial number. Push button, detachable hardwood shoulder stock w/ metal butt plate & trap door, perfectly matches finish, color & condition of pistol grip & vertical grip. Trap door in shoulder stock still retains fiber cushion inside. Shoulder stock marked w/ small anchor at front, close to metal in quick detach assembly as used by the stock-maker Remington Arms. Gun has correct 1928 internals consisting of the weighted actuator w/ knurled cocking handle, bronze Blish lock, bolt, 1 piece op-rod spring & red fiber buffer. Blish lock is unmarked, aside from the “UP” mark w/ arrow. Bolt has small “J” on the inside, w/ an “X” below the Blish lock. MAGS: (6 total) 1 “New York” 50 rd. L-Drum, black parkerized. 3 Steel 30 rd. (1 Crosby, 1 Seymour in opened wrap & marked 10/54, & 1 still in original sealed wrap.) 2 Early 20 rd. (1 marked “Auto Ordnance, Bridgeport” & the other simply marked “Patented – Aug 20, 1920 / Aug. 24 1920 – Jan. 11, 1921.) UNATTACHED ACCESSORIES: black folding “Police” style case w/ blue velvet interior & cleaning rod & spare extractor. Letter on Chester County Sheriff’s Office letterhead as detailed above, signed by Deputy Charles Parker, dated April 13, 1993.