Premier Firearms Auction
November 4, 5, 6, & 7, 2022
RARE M1805 HARPERS FERRY PERCUSSION CONVERSION PISTOL DATED 1806 AND NUMBERED 223
Bbl. measures 10 1/16”.
Of a total number of 4,096 pistols produced, a scant 300 M1805 pistols were manufactured at Harper’s Ferry dated 1806. Of these 300 pistols, only 52 examples dated 1806 are known to have survived to present day in various collections. This early example is serial number “223”. Bbl. is proofed on the left side with eagle head over “P” & “US” in an oval. The serial number “223″ is stamped in front of the US proof. Pistol has been very tastefully converted to percussion likely shortly after the percussion ignition system became commonplace. Not only was the conversion done in an aesthetically pleasing manner, foliate engraving was added to the hammer as well as the lockplate to give a finished appearance. Lock features a spread winged American eagle over “US” in front of the cock and “HARPERS FERRY 1806” to the rear of the cock.
Brass trigger guard, buttcap, side plate, nose band & entry thimble. There is an iron ramrod thimble housing a wooden ramrod below the iron rib under the bbl. The ghost of a cartouche can still be discerned on the stock just to the rear of the side plate. With so many converted Harpers Ferry pistols being reconverted over the years to flint, it is gratifying to see a fine example of an early conversion of this rare military pistol.