COLT’S 1855 NEW MODEL REVOLVING MILITARY RIFLE.
Bbl. 37 1/2″ w/ barleycorn front sight. Rear sight has 300 & 600 yard folding leafs.
5 Shot fluted cyl. Top strap is marked “COL. COLT HARTFORD CT. U.S.A.”. Left side of frame is marked “COLT’S PATENT / Nov. 24th 1857”. Action features iron loading rammer & brass trigger guard. Full length 2 band walnut forearm w/ brass tip. Walnut stock w/ trapdoor buttplate. Frame, trigger guard & buttplate have matching numbers. No visible US markings. Replacement ramrod.
This 56 cal. rifle w/ 37 1/2″ bbl. is the type issued to the Berdan Sharpshooters. The first order placed by the US in Jan. of 1862 was for 1,000 cal. 56 rifles w/ 37 1/2″ bbls. & bayonets. These rifles were shipped on Jan. 28th to Hiram Berdan’s Sharpshooters. Many of the sharpshooters were unsatisfied w/ the Colt’s performance & insisted on the Sharp’s rifle as promised. After 3 months in service, the Colts were withdrawn & replaced by the Sharps.